Definite's Extractor

My findings on Life, Linux, Open Source, and so on.

Tag Archives: opera

Firefox Speeddial-like plugins: FastDial and SpeedDial

One Opera feature I like is speed dial. It’s built-in, able to customize the row and column numbers, and can sync among computers. I kind of wondering why other browsers haven’t copy it, at least not in correct way.

Google Chrome does have similar feature, but it only show site you frequently visit and cannot change the number of the thumbnail, nor do they have an very intuitive way to set it as home page. Safari also have this feature, but the method of adding the speed dial items is so weird that I still cannot figure out how (who said Apple has the best user interface?).

Nevertheless, Opera does give me a hard time nowadays, the most deadly one is lack of support of synergy. If I see something interesting in computer A and want to copy to opera in computer B, I have to do following:

  1. Copy from Opera of computer A
  2. Paste to gedit of computer A
  3. Copy again from gedit of computer A
  4. Paste to gedit of computer B
  5. Copy again from gedit of computer B
  6. Paste to opera of computer B

See why I am frustrated?

That’s why I start investigating firefox’s counterpart: SpeedDial and FastDial. They both have the ability to show the dial, and able to adjust the number of rows and columns. When comparing between these two:

Briefly speaking:
SpeedDial:

  • Pro:
    • Nicer UI
    • Can define groups, each group has
    • Many more to customize, like refresh frequency in minutes, hour, day
    • It even has a weather dial!
  • Con:
    • Does not sync with xmark

FastDial on the other hand, has poorer UI, less customable than SpeedDial…
but can sync with xmark, as it actually posts as a folder in bookmark.

Currently I choose FastDial, as I have four working computers at the moment. But if you don’t need to sync, SpeedDial is a better choice.

Nevertheless, FastDial is not yet mature. For example, position of dial is not remembered, so when importing for a new computer, the dial item is arranged by the date you add the bookmark, not the order in source computer.

Advertisements

Inputting CJK in Opera 10.5x

I have been  loyal to opera since opear 6. It was a major innovator. For example, multiple tab browsing, mouse gesture, and speed dial was their invention.

However, for us, CJK linuxer, riding with opera was and is bumpy. While with other browsers you can just install and play, you have to manually set a environment to make it works, or use Google to dig out "forbidden" qt4 or static build.

Now came to the era of 10.5x, great, there is no known way to enable input methods. No ibus, QT_IM_MODULE, xim, not at all.

Finally, when I reach the opera forum, their answer is something like, "No, not yet, please wait until we are ready for final." Well, just hope I don’t have to wait too long.

opera qt4 and ibus

Once upon a time, opera does not get along with ibus well by default. Normally, your have to set
QT_IM_MODULE=xim
in order to make the input work.

However, that workaround still come with problem: Whenever you restart ibus, opera will go down with it, though it will manage to crawl back, but what you type is lost forever.

Given ibus provide qt4 interface, I went to find opera qt4 build.
I’ve tried opera 1010 beta qt4 static build, it turned out working well.
But not shared build, according to Peng Huang, it crashed with ibus-qt4.

There is a thread about the differences between qt3 and qt4 at here
, which says that the main difference is merely the skins. That’s incorrect. At least it provides some remedy for input method users.

Browser comparison.

Today I installed Google chrome on my Windows XP box. It’s a HP compaq nx6120, no extra modification except I change to a 100 GB harddisk.
I opened a few web pages that I often visit and compared the memory consumption among Firefox 3.5.3, Opera 10.0.0, and Chrome using the about:memory. I was quite surprise what I saw:

But after a few minute later, it becomes:

It appears that chrome does some optimizing behind the theme.

[Solved] Opera Chinese font display problem.

I use opera every day, but it does not give me a good Chinese font display. Some character, such as 灣, the bottom part is cut.

I’ve traced the opera with –debugfont and –debugfontfilter, and found it used baekmuk (Korean font) instead. After that font removed, it solved the cut-to-half problem, but it caused new problem: the character became blurred.

I also tried qtconfig-qt4, but no prevail.

Finally, after playing with font setting in KDE4 control center (cmd: systemsettings), and finally it works!
What I did was:
1. systemsetting-> font -> use anti-alias: set Enabled
2. Press “configure” button.
3. Exclude range: set disabled.
4. Apply

And that’s it.